One Pot Camping Meals
One pot camping meals are the best option when limited by budget, time and space on the road! We tried & tested this selection of recipes from our campervan trip in New Zealand, however they are the perfect camp stove recipes and backpacking meals in general. All are quick, cheap and easy with minimal washing up.
To ensure your recipes run smoothly, you might want to check out our cooking in a campervan top tips to learn from our mistakes!
Ingredients: Red Onion, Garlic, Olive Oil, Arborio Rice (1 cup for 2 people), Vegetable Stock (double stock to rice, e.g. 1 cup rice = 2 cups stock), Vegetables (peas, spinach, red pepper), Passata/Chopped Tomatoes
One of the best easy camping meals for family trips as one pan goes so far and even small portions are incredibly filling!
- Chop Onion and Sautee in a pan with garlic & olive oil. Add uncooked rice, stir until glossy with olive oil.
- Add stock slowly ensuring to stir non stop. As the rice begins to soak up water, add vegetables (peas, spinach, red pepper).
- Salt & Pepper to season. Add fresh basil & Cheese if you’re splashing the cash.
Ingredients: Red Onion, Chopped Peppers, Olive Oil, Paprika/Fajita Seasoning Mix, Salsa or Passata, Chicken, Tortilla Wraps. Optional toppings such as Guacamole, Sour Cream & Cheese.
Fajita Friday was a common occurrence in our campervan as it’s one of the easiest one pot camping meals and there is usually always leftovers for the next day!
- Fry onion, chopped peppers & chicken in olive oil for approx. 15 minutes.
- Add the seasoning mix/paprika with chopped tomatoes/salsa/passata (we use whatever we have left in the cupboard).
- Spoon onto tortilla with toppings such as guacamole, sour cream & cheese. Fold & devour.
3. One Pot Gnocchi
Ingredients: Red Onion, Garlic, Four Bean Mix, Passata, Gnocchi, Paprika,Chorizo/Sausage (optional if vegetarian)
One of the quickest one pot camping meals but so fulfilling! If you’re looking for affordable backpacking meals, gnocchi is a great way to mix it up instead of the same old pasta.
- Fry the onion, garlic (and chorizo/sausage if you wish) in olive oil.
- Drain the four bean mix, add to pan followed by passata & paprika.
- Add the gnocchi which will take approx. 5 minutes to soften – taste to check.
4. Sausage & Bean Casserole
Ingredients: Sausages, Onion, Garlic, Passata, Four Bean Mix, Peppers, Chorizo, Passata.
Probably the most popular camping staple – sausages! A sausage casserole is one of the easiest one pot camping meals on this list, also one of the most easy camping meals for family trips as it’s so quick you will feed hungry grumpy children in around 15 minutes.
- Fry your sausages with the onion and garlic until brown – fall in love with that smell!
- Add the chorizo & peppers – continue to fry for a further few minutes
- Add passata, paprika and four bean mix
- Serve in bowls as is or crusty bread to soak up the sauce
Ingredients: Lentils, Chickpeas, Olive Oil, Onion, Garlic, Curry Paste, Spinach, Peas, Chopped Tomatoes, Naan Bread to serve
One of the best backpacking meals (particularly for vegetarians) is Dahl as it is so cheap & quick to make. Check out more of our favourite vegetarian camping food here. If you’re looking for easy camping meals for family dinners then add this to your list, as it’s crazy how much you can make for less than the cost of a pint. It’s the perfect one pot camping meal to make at the end of your trip to use up anything you have left in the fridge or cupboard.
- Sauté onions with garlic & olive oil
- Drain the lentils & chickpeas before adding to pan
- Immediately after add chopped tomatoes & a generous dollop of curry paste
- Throw in any other vegetables you need used up (peas, spinach etc)
- Stir the mixture for further couple of minutes (not too long or the lentils & chickpeas will go squishy)
- Serve with naan bread or rice (but then you’ll need a second pan 😉)
Ingredients: 500g Beef (stir fry beef cooks quickest), Onion, Olive Oil, Passata, Peppers, Red Wine (optional) bread roll for the bowl.
One of the best one pot camping meals to warm you up before a chilly night in a tent…or campervan! One of our favourite camp stove recipes due to minimal ingredients with maximum flavour, adapted slightly for time and ease compared to the traditional slow cooked recipe.
- Fry the beef with garlic for a few minutes until brown
- Add the onions & peppers stir infrequently until soft
- Reduce heat and add passata & a dash of red wine (if looking for easy camping meals for family trips, you may want to miss out the wine)
- Serve in a bread bowl if you’re feeling fancy or simply crusty bread
7. Chilli Nachos with Homemade Guacamole
Ingredients: Red Onion, Mince, Passata, Chilli Powder, Paprika, Chopped Red Pepper, Baked Beans, Four Bean Mix, Cheese (optional)
Guacamole: Tomatoes (cubed-ish), Red Onion (also cubed), Lemon Juice, Avocado, Salt & Pepper
Just because you are restricted by time, space & budget should not mean you have to skip on your favourite pub grub. Cheesy chilli nachos with homemade guacamole was one of our favourite one pot camping meals – perfect to share with a few beers after a busy day on the road. Easily adaptable for vegetarians, simply remove the mince.
- Brown the mince with onion – drain if necessary
- Add peppers, chilli powder & paprika.
- Mix in the baked beans & four bean mix. The tomato sauce from the beans will help make your chilly yummy & sticky before adding in passata.
- Serve over nachos with grated cheese
Guacamole: Smash the avocado with lemon juice, salt & pepper. Add the chopped onion & tomatoes. Et voilà.
Another super easy camp stove recipe that is also a perfect way to use last night’s leftovers. Chilli or Spaghetti Bolognese are popular one pot camping meals, however chucking the leftovers into crusty tiger rolls or cheesy buns is the definition of camping cuisine.
Please note this post may contain affiliate links, which add no extra cost to your purchase but earns us a small commission to keep the adventure going.
Pin This Post