Whether you are a festival virgin or veteran this festival checklist will ensure you pack every essential. Featuring the ultimate list of festival fabulousness as well as the incredibly practical – ensuring you a safe, stress free time!
Having been to over 21 festivals between us, we feel we have had our fair share of festival fails (cue sunburn so bad Lauren couldn’t dance – yeah, THAT bad) but have now perfected our packing list and are delighted to share it with the festival goers new and old.
Whether you’re going to dance in the mud of the majestic Scottish Highlands (and heading to our favourite Belladrum perhaps) or under the Spanish Sun at Benicassim – this festival checklist will have you covered!
Let’s start with the practical festival camping checklist…
Firstly, if you’re camping in the UK it is essential you purchase a tent with an inner shell (not single layered), it is waterproof and has a built in groundsheet. Also consider the weight and the lack of space at festivals. Opt for lightweight but robust, if you go cheap it’ll be too flimsy and collapse. Spend too much and you’ll be gutted when you flatten it after a cider or 10. This one is just perfect and will survive again and again when you return, because once you’re bitten by the festival bug you will return.
- Adtrek 4 person tent suitable for camping trips, festivals, fishing etc
- Overall size - L: 360cm (142") x W: 240cm (94"). Inner tent size - L: 240cm (94") x W: 240cm (94"). Pack size - L: 68cm (27") x W: 18cm (7") x H: 14cm (5")
- Double skinned, dome style, waterproof, air vent at the front and back for good circulation
We have been attending the same music festival for over 10 years and everyone knows our tent due to the same bunting we use every year. With over 20,000 tents in a field use something such as bunting to make your tent memorable!
3. Sleeping Bag
As we’re ridiculously cheesy we actually have a joint sleeping bag – bear with us – it can be separated into two for transit, then when the Scottish temperatures hit, zip it together again and become SUPER warm. When we were in our campervan we used one sleeping bag opened underneath for extra padding and one sleeping bag open on top like a duvet.
- 170T Polyester Outer Shell with 150GSM Inner Filling
- Comfort temperature of +18°C to 10°C. Extreme use down to +5°C
- Perfect for use indoors at sleepovers or during the summer months
4. Ear Plugs
An absolute essential to add to your festival camping checklist, it is insane how much difference these can make and how much a good night’s sleep can affect your day. Not to mention, the amount of questionable bands we’ve seen that we wished we could pop these in during!
- 3 Pairs of Soft Silicone Earplugs to help block out sounds and also can be used for swimming to protect ears
- BioEars is the only earplugs which use Activaloe - Antimicrobial Product Protection keeps the earplugs free of microbes which may lead to earplug degradation and may extend usage
- The Soft Silicone Plug can be rolled and reshaped to mould to any size of ear forming an airtight seal. Through this design, BioEars are able to block out more noise than convential wax earplugs.
5. Blow-Up Bed
I always slagged off people who brought blow up beds to festivals, but it is LIFE CHANGING. There is nothing worse than a whole day of alcohol after no sleep, but having a blow up bed guarantees a successful slumber and that tiny home comfort to help you forget you’re in the middle of a field. Don’t forget a foot pump which will blow this up in minutes and if you want an extra light weight option, then a lilo is a fabulous alternative. Just don’t use it as a sledge to slide down a muddy hill like Lauren did at T in the Park.
Essential when it’s sunny, essential when it rains – the perfect place to ensure all your new festival friends can chill together without attempting to squeeze into your 2 man tent.
- Steel frame pop-up canopy with cathedral style roof for maximum headroom
- Angled leg design provides approximately 9 square meters of shade
- Top provides 99% UV protection from the sun's harmful rays
7. Folding Chairs
These things are bloody gold dust at festivals, so although we definitely recommend bringing your own do not invest too much as it is almost guaranteed to be nicked by the idiots that forgot to read this festival checklist and bring their own.
- FOLDING SUN CHAIR LOUNGER - A portable easy-fold sun chair lounger with a 19cm ground clearance.
- LIGHTWEIGHT - At 1.95kg the just be... sun chair lounger is the lightest available.
- CARRY HANDLE STRAPS & WIPE-CLEAN FABRIC - A weather resistant wipe-clean polyester fabric which has 2 built in carry handles for ease of portability.
8. Cool Box
Nothing says festival like warm cider, but it doesn’t have to be that way! Especially when you can now buy cool boxes with wheels. WHEELS! We even saw one at a festival that had built in Bluetooth speakers #extra – if you’re a cider snob and prefer it chilled then this a definite essential.
- Coleman Xtreme coolers are designed with premium insulation technology which keeps the contents cold on ice for days; uses an insulated lid and extra insulation in the walls for longer ice retention
- Designed with two sturdy wheels and a telescopic steel handle it is ideal for long road trips, days spent on the campsite and transporting food and drink around festival sites
- Very robust cool box with moulded carry handles for assured durability and easy portability. Cup holders molded into the lid keep drinks close and cold
9. Granny Trolley
An absolute essential on your festival checklist that will save you so much tears and tantrums. We have used prams, wheely bins and backpacks yet these sturdy “granny trolleys” are the way to go. My dad (a fellow festival veteran) also swears by a sledge and uses bungee cords to strap everything in. That way, when the mud gets too high the sledge can still slide through where wheels won’t.
Extra brownie points if you bring one that winds up, saves a last minute hunt (or god forbid purchase from a festival shop) for batteries!
- The Duronic Hurricane is the perfect product to accompany you in the dark. If you are on a camping trip, let the Duronic Hurricane be at your side and brighten your trip when the daylight has...
- With a maximum of 2.25Hrs Lantern time when fully charged you can be sure the Duronic Hurricane will not let you down. Spotlight function: 3 LED bulbs to provide high brightness to cover various...
- External Charge function: Charge products like mobile phones (Not smartphone)or mp3 players via the Hurricanes wind up function (USB charge cable for specific product required). Battery: 300mAh...
11. An Inflatable Couch
On the topic of your chair being nicked, these are absolute festival essentials – simply because they are compact, lightweight sofas that require no pump to blow up. You simply swirl around for a minute, flapping it in the air and it magically inflates with the wind. Also highly amusing to watch people attempt to inflate when the wind is in particularly short supply.
- 💕 EASY TO FILL - Unique inflation process collects air and can be filled up in seconds, no Pumps needed! A windy day is perfect for inflating! Just open the bag and fill with 80% air. Then...
- 💕 LIGHTWEIGHT BUT COMPACT: 1.7 Pounds weight design but it can bear 330-440lb, can relaxing and stays inflated for 5-8 hours, it can be taken to anywhere and anytime, the inflatable lounger...
- 💕 COMPACT AND LIGHTWEIGHT:: With portable and travel-friendly size design, Travel Lounger is convenient to carry to everywhere, super easy to unpack and repack. Each beach lounger comes with 2...
12. Glow In The Dark Tent Pegs
Not gonna lie, we bought these to stop us tripping over the guy lines in the middle of the night and waking everyone up. Whether your tent pegs light up or not, you’ll end up tripping over the guy lines in the middle of the night anyway, however they do make your tent look rather jazzy.
No festival checklist is complete without these gadgets
13. Portable Charger
We have gone through so many cheap chargers that last a day or two and then die. This one lasts the WHOLE WEEKEND meaning your phone will too!
- The Anker Advantage: Join the 20 million+ powered by our leading technology.
- Ultra-High Capacity: Weighs as little as a can of soup (12.5 oz) yet charges the iPhone 8 almost seven times, the Galaxy S8 five times or the iPad mini 4 twice.
- High-speed charging: PowerIQ and VoltageBoost combine to deliver the fastest possible charge(does not support Qualcomm Quick Charge). Recharges itself in 10 hours with a 2 amp charger, phone chargers...
14. Portable Music Speaker
Because applying face glitter to the sound of your best friend spewing up yesterday’s cider doesn’t quite set the mood for the day. So many festivals are now on Spotify, so ensure you download a playlist or two as having a wee dance at the tent always gets you hyped for the real deal. Failing that, a good old Disney Frozen sing along is guaranteed to make your camping neighbours your friends – or not.
- Compact And Powerful: Super-portable Bluetooth speaker delivers powerful sound and robust bass through an advanced 5W driver and passive subwoofer.
- Unstoppable Music: Micro SD support, AUX capability provide endless audio options.
- Extensive Connectivity: Utilizes Bluetooth 4.0 technology for seamless device linking and a 66ft connection range.
Now for the fun part of the festival checklist…
15. Welly Boots / Welly Warmers
The minute I put my welly boots on I feel festival ready. Finding the right pair can prove a bit of a mission – I’ve gone for aesthetic over practical so many times and they end up cracking with too much dancing and jumping around. A good tip (And more sustainable option) rather than buying a new pair every summer, invest in a good pair and jazz them up with socks or “welly warmers”. I’ve seen so many people just buy the Hunter welly warmer, on top of a perfect pair of Asda Welly boots! Welly warmers not only keep your feet warm but also prevent the boots rubbing against your legs after dancing in them for hours on end!
So many companies & festival stalls try and rip you off with face glitter. Depending you don’t throw it around like confetti (which I obviously don’t) then this should last you all Summer. A great tip I was told from a festival pro – though please do not use if you have sensitive skin but in order to get the glitter to stick for over 12 hours, use eyelash glue. This can be a life saver as it’s meant for skin anyway and dries clear!
- MULTI MIX - Cosmetic grade chunky glitter which is safe for face, body and hair. Glitter is made up of blue holographic chunky hexagon, diamond and small glitter pieces - Perfect for glitter lovers...
- MULTI USE - Heading to a festival, going to the ultimate pool party - add a splash of multi mix to your face, body or hair.
- FREE FIX GEL - Our 10g glitter pot comes packed in a stylish box and also comes with a 4ml tube of fix gel - Perfect for gifts
17. Waterproof Poncho
No festival outfit is complete without a waterproof poncho. Makes you extra noticeable in a crowd when you become split up from friends (or when you’re aired on National TV wearing a lady bird one). Don’t wait and think you’ll buy one there if you need one, festivals will rip you off majorly for this sort of thing. Buy one before you go because trust us, you’ll need one.
Circa 2007 when my sisters were aged 10 and off to their second ever festival, my mum let them pack. Cue the confusion when they arrived, my mum opened their bag and discovered they’d only packed a selection of hats. No clothes. They had the right idea from a young age, hats are festival essentials (allowing protection from the sun blah blah safety first) but also, the crazier the better to be more spottable in a crowd! “Can you help me find my friend, she’s wearing an orange sparkly cowboy hat?” is bound to help. . .
- Don't let the rain spoil your fun, keep yourself dry with this umbrella hat.
- Simply open it up and place it on your head using the elasticated head band, one size fits most!
- Perfect for fishing, golf, hiking, camping and other outdoor activities.
There’s something about music festivals that let you unleash the real you. Now’s the time to buy that Cher wig you always wanted, rock the Elvis quiff or personal fave the Mohican.
- 70cm full long curly wig in multi-colors.
- The long curly rainbow wig looks vivid and natural as real hair. The texture of it is super soft.
- The size of the wig is adjustable, so it perfectly fits different head size.
20. Festival Playsuits
Admittedly I am a self confessed hoarder of festival playsuits (I own over 30), however despite the obvious porta-loo playsuit issue they are the best for festivals as it is an entire outfit in one garment. You literally need 2 festival playsuits and a poncho and that’s you for the weekend!
- Features: Off Shoulder, Floral Print, Flare Sleeves, Short Pants Romper .
- Soft and Comfortable to wear, Make you more Fashion, Sexy and Elegant.
- Occasion: Casual, Party, Dating, Shopping, Cocktail, Club, Beach, Wedding, Holiday and Daily Life. Perfect for Spring, Summer and Autumn.
Now for the festival checklist that’s not so fun…
Whether it’s painful feet from dancing all day or a cider hangover don’t forget these!
22. Anti-bacterial Hand Gel
During a festival we literally bathe in this stuff. Whether in gel form, wipe form or full blown spray bottle – make sure it’s on your festival checklist!
23. Tissues / Toilet Roll
Porta loos at festivals are scary enough, want to make them even scarier? Forget to tick these off your festival checklist!
- Pocket tissue made from 100% natural and sustainable bamboo
- No trees or Panda's foods are harmed in the manufacturing of this product
- Free from fragrance, chlorine bleach, de-inking chemicals, B.P.A.
24. Lip Balm
You may be like wtf? But I will never forget T in The Park when I was 16 and so many people stopping to ask if anyone had lip balm – sunshine & cider all day had made our lips so beautifully crispy we would’ve paid good money for one of these!
Even if you’re attending a Scottish festival, do not be fooled into thinking you won’t need it. Sunburn and rave tents never end well. Bring this wee travel sized one just in case!
- For face and body is easy to apply
- Quickly absorbed and water resistant
- Skin compatibility dermatologically approved
26. Wet Wipes
Three days without a shower? You’re gonna need these. Bonus points if you can find ones that are anti-bacterial and come in the handy travel size!
27. YOUR TICKET!
Probably the most important item on this festival checklist, do not be one of those people that have to buy a new one for triple the price from a dodgy dude outside the gate!
Pin This Post
Please note this post may contain affiliate links, which add no extra cost to your purchase but earns us a small commission to keep the adventure going.